From:
melissa hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 04:57:24 -0700
Hello, everyone, I have just joined the FML.  Since everyone else is
telling about their favorite ferrets, I'll tell about all five of mine,
which will also serve the purpose of introducing them to you.  My name is
Melissa, BTW.

1- Possum: Possum was one of my first ferrets.  He is a chocolate fert,
and absolutely gorgeous!  I got him, along with Rogue and Albie, from a
co-worker.  I work at a petstore (one that does NOT sell ferrets), and
someone had dumped Possum in our receiving area in a cardboard box.  My
co-worker took care of him until I expressed an interest in having
ferrets.  He is my biggest boy, though Albie is starting to catch up.
Possum is my funniest baby.  He loves to run through the house and hide
behind the doors.  When I come walking through, he jumps out and hisses
and dooks at me.  We don't know exact age, but the vet says he's over 5
years old.

2- Rogue: also another rescue ferret, she was given up by her owners and
given to a different co-worker who passed her on to the co-worker with
Possum.  When I took Possum, I took Rogue (and Albie, whom you'll meet
next), and started out with 3 ferrets.  Rogue is also an older ferret,
over 5 years old.  She is a beautiful sable female, even though she's
shedding right now.  Rogue is my climber, and my trouble-maker.  She is
the one who climbs highest, jumps farthest, and steals everything.  She
used to hide everything under the loveseat, but now that the (hooman) kids
room is clean and she's allowed in there, she hides it all under their
bed.  Her favorite things to steal are toilet paper and paper towels.
She also opens cabinet doors, and likes to play in the pots and pans.

3- Albie: He was bought by my co-worker as a pet for his kids, but formed
a family with Possum and Rogue.  When I took them, I took him too.  My
co-worker's kids weren't giving them much attention, and since they were
attached to each other, he gave me all three.  Albie is an albino (in case
you couldn't guess by the name).  He is around 3 1/2 years old, and big.
He has just about caught up to Possum in size.  He is a little bit of a
toe-nipper, but we've beat that by wearing shoes when he's around.

4- Sprite: one of my 2 newest, Sprite is a light silver mit.  The vet says
she is around 1 year old.  She is also deaf.  Sprite was found running
down the road in a local neighborhood, by a woman who couldn't keep her.
She brought her to me, and I found out that she was deaf and a horrible
biter, which is probably why she was dumped.  With patience and carefully
watching her, we've gotten past the worst of the biting.  She is a funny
little creature, always dooking and playing.

5- Holly: my newest rescue, is a beautiful sable blaze.  She was owned by
a family whose oldest daughter was allergic to her.  After trying
everything that the vet and their doctor suggested to no avail, they
decided to find her a home where she would be well cared for.  I
originally brought her home for my neighbors, who had fallen in love with
my guys.  Unfortunately, after having her for a few days, they found out
that they were allergic to her, too.  So, Holly made addition #5 to my
zoo.  We've only had her for a week or so, but she has fit in perfectly.
She loves to sleep curled up with Possum.  We are beginning to believe
that she is deaf, too.  I tested her one time, and she responded, but the
2nd and 3rd time she did not, so I think that the 1st time may have just
been coincidence.  That's okay, though, we're used to it with Sprite, so
it's no big deal.

As for me, I am a member of The Ferret Realm, where I have learned tons
about my fuzzies, and found lots of friends who are just as nuts over them
as I am.  I am married and have 2 hooman sons, a dog, tarantula, iguana,
uromastyx, fish, pet rats, gerbils, a snake, a frog, and several other
lizards, in addition to the ferrets.  It's definately a zoo around here!

:)Melissa