From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:23:04 -0400
>Yesterday I took my ferret, Bo, to be tested for ADV.  He is 2.5 yrs old
>and has had several illnesses off and on since he was about 1.5 yrs old.
>Well, Bo tested positive on the in-house twice so my vet is sending out
>his blood.  I guess this is a more thorough test.  We are currently
>waiting for those results.  Apparently, there's a small chance that he
>could've tested false-positive if he has a bacterial infection.  We are
>treating for a bacterial infection while we are waiting to find out the
>results.  My question is if Bo tests positive again, what is the usual
>course of treatment.  I am aware that ADV is incurable but what treatments
>are common/available?  I also know that I will need to have my other
>ferrets tested.  Thank you.

Dear X:

Unfortunately, ADV is a viral disease which currently has no treatment -
though hope springs eternal.  Unfortunately, the chance of a positive
test as a result of a bacterial infection is fairly low.  I would also
recommend doing some baseline bloodwork - a complete blood count and
chemistry profile.  This should include a total protein and a level on
the gammaglobulins.  All of this goes to a definitive proof of Aleutian
Disease.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams,DVM

[The Ferret Health List can be found, read, and even joined :-) at: