From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:07:51 -0400
>From:    michelle trocine <>
>I know this may sound odd but I was wondering if anyone knew the answer.
>In male ferrets in the later stages of adreanal their prostate can swell
>and block the flow of urine.  I know that they remove peoples prostates...
>can they safely remove a ferrets.  Since they are usually neutered does it
>serve much of a purpose?  I had a old ferret with adrenal that was a male
>and he was on Lupron.  The Lupron only worked for so long though...He had
>the prostate swelling.  He's passed away since but I was curious anyhow
>about that.

The last I heard it is considered too hard and delicate a surgery to be
feasible.  If anyone knows of anything since then I'm willing to learn.

***Surgery to remove the adrenal gland usually takes down the prostate
very rapidly and it's a much more doable surgery***, but some are not
surgical candidates.  There are medications that can help reduce some of
the swelling but not many vets know about them, yet; you'll want to
search the prostate posts of the vet, Jerry Murray at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html or