From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:59:49 -0400
>I have ferrets that have skin problems.  I had three that had the same
>problem but one passed away yesterday after a very large tumor removal
>from his left adrenal.  I don't know whether this problem is adrenal
>related or not.  I have two other ferrets that were separated from these
>three until recently.  Now one of the two is getting the same problem with
>his skin.  They are all itchy.  Their skin is really pink also there are
>sores in different places on their bodies.  Their skin is really dry also.
>My vet checked for parasites and could not find any.  He injected the
>three with Ivermectin and put them on Pnamycin aquadrops three times a
>day.  I have also been giving them fatty acids with their food.
>
>It seemed to come on all of a sudden when the weather got dryer here.  I
>have attached a picture of one of the ferrets.

Dear X:

I agree with M- the pattern is classic bilateral truncal alopecia, and 99%
of these are adrenal.  The red splotches look like self trauma as a result
of pruritius, but occasional adrenal ferrets do develop erythematous itchy
lesions on their own without pre- existent trauma.

I know that you are probably very gunshy following the death of your other
ferret, but it looks like this one is adrenal as well.

Thanks for the pictures - they make all of the difference.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM

[Sukie note:  Photos at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/message/7813 ]