From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:05:09 -0400
>although he mentioned Lysodren but ruled it out due to side effects and a
>poor response for an animal with carcenoma.  He feels her demise will come
>from problems most related to the functioning of the vena cava not the
>hormone excess, he mentioned the pancreas looked healthy.  He was not
>familiar with Lupron but had one ferret on melatonin.

Lysodren does not tend to do very well.  Lupron is my drug of choice,
followed by Casodex - they block the symptoms of the adrenal problem, but
the tumor is still there and still growing, as you mentioned.  However,
be advised that the majority of ferrets with blockage of the vena cava
develop enough collateral circulation that that blockage is not really a
problem.

Surgery for her is still an option as long as her remaining kidney is
functioning properly - if her kidney values are off, then it becomes more
iffy.  You might want to think about a second surgical opinion, based on
the findings - call the University, ask them about their recommendations.
Maybe the ferret vets there know of someone closer to you that has the
expertise.

And I know that he has you worried about a carcinoma - just be aware that
no veterinarian can determine whether an adrenal tumor is a carcinoma or
not based on what it looks like grossly.  It takes the expertise of a
pathologist to determine that.  I have seen some very large adrenal tumors
come back as adenomas, not carcinomas.  On the opposite hand, I have had
some teeny ones come back as carcinomas.  That's why it's always important
to have pathology done.

Good luck.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.