From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:20:14 -0700
Mark, the ferret litter I personally like best is wood stove pellets,
which is generally not considered animal litter at all.  I've heard that
the Stove Chow brand does list ferret litter as one of the uses on the
bags however.

Pet stores want you to buy ferret litter from them and since they don't
stock wood stove pellets are not going to recommend or even mention the
product.

Wood stove pellets cost, on average, $3.00 per 40 pound bag, which is a
very good price.  You can use them in any litter pan you have.  The ferret
is going to surf and snorkle through them when you put the 1st pan of them
down, this I can guarantee!  Like some of mine, they may even try to take
a nap in the pan of pellets.  Once your ferret has investigated the pan
and enjoyed rummaging through it, place a couple of poopies into the pan.
I would suggest not washing the litter pan between emptying the cat litter
and putting in the wood pellets, so it will still smell like a potty place.

When the pellets are wet on, the little log shaped pellets will break down
into damp sawdust.  You can scoop out the poops and the wet part and add
more pellets.  With only 1 small ferret you would only need to scoop the
poops for a couple of days.

Wood pellets completly neutralize ferret urine odor.  If you were to sniff
(not that I'm suggesting you need to do this) the damp sawdust there would
only be a faint woody aroma.

If you find more of your litter flakes stuck to your ferret until you can
change litter types, dab a little vasaline on the area before removing the
stuck bits.

Wood pellets are a seasonal item in many stores.  Regular stove stores
sometimes stock them year round but also charge more for them.  Stores
like Home Depot get them in about this time of year and stop reordering
in late winter.  Florida stores don't carry them at all.  They are often
stacked outside in the covered loading area.

Hope this helps you.

Georgia - the left coast one...