From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:50:35 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled licklicklickCHOMPers...

Hello, Mark:

You said:
>I'm thinking of getting a playmate for Sera. I've been kind of worried
>about getting a "normal" sized ferret because Sera is so tiny.

Actually, that shouldn't be a problem at all.  Though Add-A-Kiss only
weighs about 12 - 14 ounces, she's constructed of flex-steel.  The phrase
"Yea, though I walk throught the valley of death, I shall fear no
evil...or any other ferret!" has special meaning for her.  She not only
doesn't worry about anyone picking in her...*she* picks on *other* ferrets
from time to time!  :)

Now, Rusti is a different case.  She weighs a bit more than Add-A-Kiss
(about 1.2 pounds), but she is very old (and acts that way).  Therefore,
several of the younger boys (as well as Add-A-Kiss!) like to tease her,
or pick on her.  Smokey (a.k.a. Goodyear Blimp) will even grab her by
the scruff and drag her behind the lounge chair.  However, the moment he
relaxes his grip so he can get around a corner, she's GONE!  She also
knows how to stick up for herself, if she gets trapped.  Screaming works
(even if they aren't doing anything yet!), as well as rolling over on her
back and getting all four feet out where they can do the most good.  NONE
of my ferrets will try anything if she's on her back, as they know just
how well she can use those toenails of hers!  :)

Now Run is another case altogether.  She plays with Chewy and Bump (her
brother) all the time.  However, she is also quite tiny.  Bump and Chewy
probably out-weigh her 2 to 1, yet she still manages to get in the middle
of everything the two boys do.  She wrestles with them both, races through
the house with them, plays tag, muscles her way in for snacks and, when
all else fails, just strikes a pose and looks cute.  Never fails! :)

As you can see, I've got three totally different girls, with completely
different attitudes.  Your little girl will also have an attitude that
will develop, once you've gotten her a playmate.  You have to get the
other ferret and introduce them, to let her decide how she will be around
her new friend.  Once they've been together long enough, they will work
out how things will be and settle down into a comfortable together.

Expect the occasional tussle, however.  Even the best of friends find
*something* to fight about from time to time!  :) Let them work out any
differences they may have, so that the pecking order doesn't get messed
up.  Be sure to treat them both equally, with treats, cuddling, play,
etc.  That way, there won't be any jealousy between them.  Ferrets--like
kids--tend to work out a comfortable relationship, if you let them take
care of it themselves.  Only occasionally, will your intervention be
required.

You may also want to maybe consider getting a very young kit (maybe only
two or three months old) as a playmate.  This way, she can be the dominate
one and teach the kit, while the kit will grow up respecting her.  It
doesn't *always* work that way, but it might! :)

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/