From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:17:45 -0400
Well, this is a three-parter..

1. I was at Zeus' necropsy today.  Dr. S did the necropsy and looked
him over and wasn't finding anything too odd except what looked like a
hemorrhage in his chest.  He wasn't in perfect health, since he was
adrenal and it looked like we may have had some insolunoma in the future,
but nothing too odd.  The last thing he did was check Zeus' heart and he
had heart worms.  That was what did it.  Dr. S said that he probably
didn't suffer and that the death was pretty fast and that Zeus didn't know
what hit him.  That's why he was in a weird position when we found him.

Zeus came to us from a bad household.  He was kept out in the Florida heat
with his brother in a cage.  The day he was rescued, he was in a cage with
no water, food, and a pile of poop with maggots in it.  We had to have
them both treated for intestinal worms.  Most likely, Hermes has heart
worms too.  I am very upset about this, considering this could be
prevented.  I've had them on preventative since I've had them in my house,
so I can only do so much since there really isn't any treatment that is
effective for ferrets.  From what I gather, the treatments for HW are too
harmful to ferrets and the one medication out there that was for heartworm
treatment has been taken off the market.  I have a new appreciation and
strong desire to squeeze my Hermes until he wants to bite me, now.  I've
just loved the crap out of him since I've been home.

So, here's just a little thing to keep in mind.  All my guys are inside
ferrets and this is such a sudden and shocking way to have them pass on.
Please don't feel that keeping them indoors is enough.  HW meds is only
once a month and a very tiny dosage.  Please consider keeping your guys on
it and don't go through this.  I kill mosquitoes in the house all the
time.  They do get in when you open the doors, so having inside ferrets is
not a guarantee against heart worms.

2. Also, I'd like to thank all the people who've sent me and Damon
emails, e-cards, condolences and prayers.  You guys are a great group and
very supportive.  Thanks.  I will try to reply to everyone personally, but
please forgive me for being slow...

3. Finally, Sandee, please look for Zeus.  He's on his own.  He's the
first of our group to pass on and he will need to find some friends.  Mike
Janke's Beasely is there now and maybe Zeus can meet up with his group.
Is there a kitchen with dirty dishes in the sink at the Bridge.  Zeus
loved to 'help' with the tomato sauce covered plates and even cleaned up
a green bean or two.  Maybe he can continue to do that...or chase some
cats.  He was good at that, too.

Peace and love to everyone.  Hug your babies, because you never know what
tomorrow may bring...

April and Damon
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_