From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:42:59 -0400
I just thought I would pass this onto everyone in hopes that it may help a
little with the latest tragedy.  There is a large influx of emails on what
to do to help out, and here's something that I haven't seen yet.

Bearing in mind that there is going to be an estimated 20,000 dead from
the WTC collapse, means that 50% or more probably had pets.  Not everyone
is married, so some of those folks have dogs, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs,
etc.  at home waiting for their mom or dad to come home.  When family and
landlords start cleaning up the belongings of the unfortunate people who
died, their pets are going to need someplace to go.  The NY shelters are
probably going to be over burdened a thousand fold soon.  I'm sure that
the folks that have died would want their babies taken care of.

So, when you are sending out donations and relief help, try to send
something to the shelters in the NY area as well.  They will probably need
the standard things...food, litter, bedding, sleepy sacks, cat/dog beds,
as well as cash.  My suggestion, is if you feel inclined to help, do a
search on Google or Yahoo for NY NY animal shelters and start calling to
find out who needs what.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a call go out for
or from shelters, so you will have to help in finding out who needs help.
It probably won't be long before the calls for help from the shelters go
out.

Peace from The Gallaty Zoo...

,',',     __
\    `'`,/  \ ()o=;