From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 21:04:04 -0400
>It so happens that a few ferret lists that I'm on are discussing worms
>at the moment.  One list said that ferrets can't get worms at all and
>people got this information from some vets.  Then I'm on another list and
>they seem to think that ferrets can get worms and somebody treats her
>ferrets with garlic???

Dear XXXXXXX -

There are a number of worms that ferrets can actually get, but the
incidence is extremely low - due to the fact that most ferrets, at least
in the States are kept indoors, and many in other countries are kept off
the ground in wire cages, so the contact with feces is fairly small.

Worm are generally fairly species specific, however there is one notable
exception - tapeworms.  Tapeworms are spread between animals by fleas,
and if the ferret swallows the flea (it is more than just a simple bite),
then the eggs can hatch and your ferret will shed the rice-like tapeworm
segments.  The condition is really not serious - despite old wives tales
to the contrary, tapeworms do little to no damage to the host, being very
happy to subsist on whatever is passing through the gut at that moment.
Tapeworms are easily treated.

Heartworms are another common worm (at least as worms go) in ferrets, but
that is a common thread on the FHL and I refer you to the archive.

Garlic is another old wives tale.  It has no effect on parasites at all, be
they worms, fleas, or ticks, but may have an adverse effect on you.  Phew!

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list