From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:42:30 -0600
Hi Everyone
First thank you to Tim, Sue, Georgia, Mary, and Melissa (sorry if I forgot
anyone) for responding to my post.

Well the mystery of the Clydesdale and Whippet ferrets has been solved.
Even though our caller was determined that these were breeds, these names
stem from body types.

Turns out the Clydesdale is a slang term someone used to refer to the
Bulldog body type.  Either way you look at it, it is a big ferret.  The
Whippet/Greyhound (in the U.K.) ferret has a long sleek/slim body type.

Melissa, I think you may have something there.  It is very likely that
someone convinced our caller that this was a special breed in order to
get more money out of them.  If the person knows nothing about ferrets,
it would be easy to pull something like this.

Who would have thought one would learn something new out of a funny post.
Now if we can only de-program our caller that these are not breeds, but
types.

Kathy and the Ferret Collective