From:
Sunny Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:13:26 EST
To the Dr.
I've stated before about how Ruffio was sick in Nov.  He was doing great
and them one evening I came home and fell asleep in my chair.  Ruffio came
out and pooped on my foot and then went back to bed.  Something he doesn't
do is miss the littler box.  (They say animals are smart and can get their
point across.)  The next morning I noticed he was a little listless.  When
I got home from work he couldn't stand.  Rear legs wouldn't hold him, kept
falling over and felt feverish.  Took him to the vets and they said his
fever was 105.4.  Filled him with fluids and antibiotics and vitamins.
Said he wouldn't make it thru the night, but sent him home with 10 days
worth of meds.  I took him back the next day to get more fluids cause his
fever never broke.  I got him to eat and bottle fed him water and vitamins
for the 10 days along with the meds.  They were stumped.  He has come out
of it but a little slower than the rest.  Every day he seems a little more
aware and chipper.  Tonight he is over biting my deaf and blind brothers
feet.  Guess he finally found someone he can pick on.

Now to my questions (mothers seem to think everything they read their baby
has) Ruffio when he sleeps lays on his back tongue hanging out and looks
like he is dead.  Twice now I have started CPR yep mouth to snout, rubbing
his chest and shaking him.  He doesn't come out of it for mins.  I have
walked the length of my house with him limp thinking that he is a gonner
and then he starts to wiggle his snout and yawn.  Last time I called my
husband at work to come home and help me remove him befor the grandson got
here.  Wouldn't know anything was wrong with him tonight cause so far he
has bitten my brothers feet, woke up the cat and chased it out of the room
and come to help me type.

Is this normal in some ferrets?  My other 4 purk right up when they hear
me.  They wake up when I touch them.  Sleep in a fetal position not on
their backs.

I find no other difference except in what they have in treats.  He likes
dog bones.

Sunny