From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:18:09 -0500
Tomorrow I'm taking all five ferrets to the vet for shots: the baby (4.5
months) for his rabies shot, and the others for their annual distemper.
Templeton had a severe reaction to his distemper shot last year, so
needless to say I'm quite nervous about what might happen!  None of the
ferrets had ever had even a mild reaction previous to this.  They're going
to a different vet than the one who administered the shots last year.  No
problem with how the vet handled the reaction, but I don't have a lot of
confidence in him for most things - lost our first ferret when he failed to
diagnose, or even suggest, a possible blockage - and he doesn't check them
over when they're in for shots: he doesn't look at their ears, eyes, or
teeth; listen to their heart; weigh them; feel their abdomens - nothing!

Dr. Williams recently addressed another post with the following:
>You are right - the correct way to proceed is premedicate with benedryl
>IM, wait, vaccinate, wait a minimum of thirty minutes, and then go home.

The new vet seems to have no problem administering distemper and rabies
shots at the same time (which I don't let him do!).  When I called the
receptionist to ask if the Benedryl should be injected or given orally, and
how soon before the distemper shot was given, she said she'd have to check
with Dr. King and call me back.  I missed her call, but she left a message
saying that he can give something AT THE TIME OF THE VISIT for the
reaction.  Dr. Williams says to "wait" before vaccinating, but I have no
idea how long.  Is there ANYTHING Dr. King would administer which he could
then immediately follow with the distemper vaccination?  In case he starts
to follow one with the other immediately, I plan to have him pre-med
Templeton, set him aside while the others get their exams and shots, and
come back to him last, but I don't know how quickly he'll get back to
Templeton.  I'm assuming there should be a span of at LEAST ten minutes.

I'd appreciate anyone getting back to me on this - I really don't want to
experience another reaction this year, and I'm nervous about tomorrow,
primarily because this is a fairly new vet to me (I'm still "feeling him
out" for his ferret knowledge) and I don't know precisely what his
treatment plan for tomorrow is.

Thank you.

Debbie
Brae, Templeton, Sally, Phoebe and Klondike
Remembering Jamie - with us such a short time, but special because she =
was our first