From:
Steve and Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:35:46 -0500
I've been wanting to ask this question for awhile now, but have been
putting it off and now I have to ask.  This past weekend a friend had an
emergency with one of their ferrets and their vet nor mine see emergencies
on weekends.  We live in North East Pennsylvania and they called all of the
local vets including an emergency animal hospital that also see exotics,
but those exotics don't include ferrets.  Finally they found a vet that
wasn't to far away that would come back to his office and see their ferret.
We both know their our vets capable of treating ferrets that are around 1
1/2 - 2 hrs from here, but it is my understanding the ferret may not have
made it that far.  I know this is a long and I apologize, but what I want
to ask of either Dr. Williams or anyone else on here is first...........
what can be done to stabilize a sick fuzzie until you can drive that
distance for help??

Then my next question................we would like to know what vets are
available to us say within a two mile radius that treat ferrets in an
emergency and also are there some good vets capable of doing surgery on our
little guys.  None of our vets locally know that much about operating on
ferrets so we are really in trouble if there is ever a need for that type
of treatment.  We have a large amount of ferrets in this area, but it seems
none of our vets want to learn more about treating them......... ie: doing
surgery.

I apologize for this being so long and actually it could be longer, but I
will not go into more about this subject.  I would appreciate it if Dr.
Williams or anyone else could tell me if there are any vets in a two miles
radius that could help in an emergency.

DianeK,wiggles,cocoa,cleo and daddy too!!!!!!!!!!