From:
Tammy Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:45:27 -0800
Dooks, hugs and tears for all those in trying times...

Well, I spent last Friday getting out the word for the shelter I'm working
on, and lo and behold wound up getting a call from the local rescue group
on Saturday (and a call volunteering to foster for me on Sunday!).  The
rescue group had gotten calls about a fert living outside on dog food.
They did do right and rescue him, at a cost of $200.  They are keeping him
"in the family" (since he is staying with a friend of the groups president)
but have set up a vet appointment for shots and a check up.  I realized
that without the taurine in fert/cat foods, that there could be problems,
and told them this.  May the powers that be help us, the rescue prez (who
owns 2 ferts of her own) did not know this.  I'm not being greedy or
selfish, but I wish I knew where this girl lived so I could find out what
kind of shape he is in myself.  The rescue prez was going to bring this boy
into her home (which includes 4-6 dogs, some cats, and 2 fuzzies) without
quarantining him, and without knowing that he could be blind.  OK shelter
moms & dads, here's the $64K question: have any of you ever come across
this situation and, if so, how did you handle it?  I'm not really willing
to pay them back the $200 (isn't realistic, since that money should go to
his food and medical care).  I'm just afraid that he won't get the proper
treatment/medical care he needs.  Thanks in advance for the advice...

Tammy & the Crew
War Dance Haven

Trying to explain ferret math to a non-ferret owner is like trying to
explain physics to a 3 year old.