From:
Elayne Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:49:07 -0800
I am posting this request for information for another person and hope Dr.
Williams can give us his opinion on the situation.  They have a 6 year old
ferret with ECE that their vet was treating with albon (I know that is not
the recommended drug, but her ferret does not tolerate amoxi and there
doesn't appear to be any Baytril available in her small town).  She was
working on getting the medication changed to something more effective, when
the ferret was accidentally medicated with 10 times the recommended dose
of albon.  Now their vet does not want her putting the ferret on any other
drug until she is sure there has been no damage from the overdose.  The
overdose occurred on the morning of the 25th.  We are worried about the
old girl getting a secondary infection from the ECE while the vet watches
her for signs of overdose damage.  Dr. Williams, do you think the risk
outweighs the benefit of waiting before starting her on Baytril?  She first
showed signs of ECE around the 23rd of January.  She has been eating (baby
food) and drinking throughout this entire ordeal, but her activity level is
very low.  We would really appreciate your opinion on the situation.

Elayne Barclay