From:
steve austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:36:04 -0500
Patty
I have a medical question for anyone who might know, or has a similar
experience.

I have a ferret that I brought in about a month ago, no history available.
She is between 4-5years old, 3 blue tattoos on her right ear-( two more
than Mom).

I brought her to a good ferret vet- and her story is that she is weak,
stumbles sometimes , walked into a wall once, too thin, sleeps 95% of the
time.  She is eating, drinking, pooping.  NO hair loss, no swollen vulva.
Last week she had one green slimy stool (ECE exposed home)- no more seen.
She looked real sick friday night and I gave her fluids and started baby
food- she is better.

Monday she went to the vet and her blood glucose was 52 venous-by accucheck
type machine- 40 minutes after she ate.

Her other labs
WBC  0.95 (L),  Hgb 4.0 (L),
HCT 9.8     MCV 48.9 plt-68 (L)
ALB-3.0     ALT-113
Tbil-0.2    AMY- 57
BUN 42 (H)  ALP-46
Cr 0.7      CHOL-230
TP-5.6      GLOB-2.6
GLU-88  (right now I can't remember if taken after the shot of steroid
         and glucose, )

O.K. he said she was anemic- I looked quickly and thought the rbc was 4.0
and Hgb-9.8, now they are closed and I am panicking!!  He didn't make a
big deal of the anemia- mentioned she could be bleeding -thought about an
intestinal obstruction also.  To me she has severe bone marrow suppression-
I am thinking lymphoma??  aplastic anemia ??  If she was hemolyzing
shouldn't the TBili be high?  If she is bleeding from somewhere why the
low WBC?  No retic count so I am not sure if the bone marrow is working.
I know the presumptive diagnoses is insulinoma, but does that explain all
the other problems?

I will call tomorrow, but can't get another day off work until wed. or
thurs.  Should she have a blood transfusion? The plan when I left was
prednisone for 2 weeks and recheck labs.

I am taking a stool sample to work to check for blood, but it looks fine.

Thanks for any help,