From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:58:21 -0500
I was wondering about something.  I happened to learn from people I know
who are state authorities that the N.J. breeder whose very many ferrets
were in such horrid shape and required rescue apparently was quite in
violation of at least two licensing aspects.  Now, it strikes me that
perhaps show groups might be able to reduce the number of such abusive
places.  This will not have any impact on those among the terrible ones
that don't show, but it might for those that do show.  What if shows
required the breeders to say the size of their operations and shared their
lists of breeders with the states' appropriate licensing groups (unless
FFZ), and if the breeder was large enough with the USDA as well?  There
certainly are breeders who want to be able to claim certain show-winning
lines as part of their sales.  For those who already have acceptable to
fine conditions and follow the regulations it would make no difference,
but for those who have a secret hell-hole it might force improvements in
conditions because they would register properly to be able to compete.

Many thanks also to Leigh who very kindly shared these federal sites
with me:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/lists/lista.pdf
The more general Animal Care site is:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/

These are the avenues through which a person can find the basics needed to
request further information on large places listed, and so on.