Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:08:40 EST
I received this message through The Pet Project and was wondering if the
vets on the FML would care to educate me on syrup of epicac use in ferrets.
Following the question is my immediate response, but I'd like to follow
this up with a more definitive answer.

>a few years ago a friend of mines ferret had eaten laundry soap and she
>didn't want to take it to a vet because she said the last ferret she took
>to the vet because it ate something died, so i gave the ferret a small
>dose of syrup of epicac, i had it around in case my children ever needed
>it, it is to induce vomiting if something is drank or swallowed, it made
>the ferret start vomiting and soon the ferret was up again playing and
>drinking and eating, he was fine, so my question is was that the right
>thing to do, or should i have just let it go?
>
>and do is there any research going on as to weather or not this is a good
>treatment option for animals not only ferrets to save lives of poisoned
>animals?
>
>thank you, i look forward to your reply please e mail me.

Pam writes:
Well, I've never heard of using this on ferrets.  There is a poison control
hotline for pets, and as you should know, not all poisons should be vomited
up.  Now ferrets like the taste of soap, and it won't hurt them if they
lick up just a little.  But there are many things that we as people can
take that animals can't (aspirin is an example), so I'd suggest you find
a good vet who understands ferrets (not all vets do).

I'll pass your question on to a few veterinarians, and get back to you when
I have some answers.

Pam T
STAR* Ferrets