Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:24:31 +0000
I should find it so hard to accept that a woman who can mistreat animals in
this way can be allowed to carry on with her shelter but it happens over
here as well in the UK.  In my case a friend and I took a lot of rabbitts
in, ranging from Angora's to mixed breed.  The woman had been breeding them
to sell at a local petshop and the conditions they were living in were
awful.  The RSPCA called me and asked me to go and take them.  The reason
the woman couldn't care for them and only left them in tiny unprotected
wire cages on a field to live on grass and no water was because she had a
heart condition and had six months to live.  So she was not prosecuted and
just told not to get any more animals.  We took the rabbits in, did the
usual stuff with them and found homes for most of them.  A couple were so
distressed we kept them for a long time until they could be handles.  Two
years later I was a passenger in a car on a car treasure hunt and one clue
involved finding a door with lots of horse shoes on it.  As we reached this
house I recognised it.I saw a woman standing there as large as life.  It
was this woman who was supposed to die and who now had a group of horses in
the same poor field that the rabbits had been in.  It was a two door car
and my husband had to actualy hold onto me as I was going to get out and do
God knows what to this woman if I had got hold of her.  I was awful really.
I wound the window down and yelled at her.  When I got home that night I
phoned my friend from the RSPCA and told him what was going on.  This
time she was prosecuted but only for the horses as there was no official
photgraphic evidence regarding the rabbits.  She had lied about her heart
condition and was found guilty of cruelty and neglect to animals.  Banned
from keeping horses for 5 years and a #150 fine.  WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!
Very rarely is a prison sentence handed out and I think these people
should be treated in the same way as people who cause cruelty to children.
Animals can't speak.

Sorry to rant but this case is so unfair.  Hopefully?  Her shelter will
have an eye kept on it now?

selkie

If you are curious about Ferrets enter here.
http://www.ferretmania.cjb.net
The Ferret site was designed by my daughter, who suffers from Psuedotumor
Cerebri, known in UK as Benign Intercranial Hypertension.