From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:42:37 -0600
We've found in our group that 80% have the second adrenal affected, at
varying times after the first surgery.  We've also seen other lumps appear
after surgeries as well.

Ferris had adrenal surgery late summer last year.  When Larry was in he
checked both adrenals very carefully, top and bottom (he often reminds me
that he has to dig through a lot of fat to do this), and the right looked
fine but the left was not so he removed the left.  Six weeks later Ferris
still exhibited adrenal symptoms so we gave him the 4 mo Lupron Depot
injection.  His symptoms continued and then on the 8th week they finally
stopped and he grew back all his fur, became less agitated and could enjoy
life again till this month when he is again beginning to dribble and being
cranky.  Previously I chose Lupron depot because it was too soon after
surgery for another surgery but this time we'll probably go with another
surgery because there is no evidence that the Lupron reduces the growth and
left unchecked it can attach to other organs or break open.  Ferris is our
$700 ferret (2 surgeries and 1 4 mo lupron depot injection).  I know some
pay that much for one surgery and at the rate of adrenal surgeries we do
(10-20) per year we are certainly thankful for the cost we do pay.

Ferris is 1 of 6 that will be scheduled for adrenal surgery next month,
but he is the only one that this will be his second adrenal surgery.  I
fully expect some of the others will need another surgery later this year
or early next year.

Andy had bilateral surgery a year ago and is doing well.  He needed one
percortin injection and has since done fine.

Zipper didn't do very well after her bilateral surgery nor did Brina nor
Krystal.  In my experience the boys seem to do better, perhaps an estrogen
factor (or should I say lack of estrogen factor).

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity