From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:28:49 -0800
I do not know of any ferret vets in Tacoma but I do agree that Dr. Kamaka
(formerly of Snowood in Woodinville) is a great vet!  I did email you with
some information on a vet that has adrenal experience that is closer than
Bellevue or Kirkland, but maybe you did not get the message?  Contact me if
you still need the number.  $2000 is alot, but if you are willing to save
money by driving about a half hour, it might be worth it to you.  Kamaka
is even further for you than the vet I refer people to.  I do think that
Kamaka is exceptional with ferrets and with people!

The right number of ferrets?  That was answered very eloquently by someone
else.  Nobody should obtain more ferrets than they can afford.  This means
more than financial terms.  If you do not have the time for them, don't
acquire more.  Obviously, this does not hold true for shelters who are
doing their best - bless each and every one of you.

On the whole "Ferrets Magazine put Modern Ferret out of pet stores" debate,
it is really getting silly.  I have NOTHING against Mary and Eric BUT it is
really silly to blame a competitor for this.  We live in a free market and
that is what makes this country great.  Do we jump up and down when another
hamburger joint goes under because McDonald's moved into the neighborhood?
My favorite coffee place could not survive because Starbuck's moved in
across the street.  Yes, I was very bummed but that is life.  I would hate
to live in a country or a society where free enterprise (big or small)
was restricted.  It may take lots of money to keep going or it may take
creative marketing, whatever the case may be/been, it is irrelevant.  I
just don't see the point in continuing to bash a competitor on this forum.
Thanks to Mary and Eric for NOT coming forward and doing so, it looks much
more professional that you are silent on here, at this point.  I am sorry
that some of you hate Ferrets Magazine so much, but they really are not to
blame - blame society and the amount of subscribers they have.  Blame pet
stores for not carrying a publication you want, but don't blame the
competitor.  In fact, without competition, many businesses would not
provide the service they do and they might even provide lesser product
because they have NO COMPETITION to compete with for your business.
Wouldn't it be terrible to not have any options?  I think so.  You cannot
blame the competition for everything.  Come on.  Radio stations go under
all the time because they could not compete or failed to reach their
audience, that is how it works.  I am in marketing, and I would be laughed
at by my associates if my campaign did not reach the audience or it failed
and I simply said "damn that Hewlett Packard, it is all their fault."
Sometimes a competitor outdoes another competitor.  I have seen no proof
of false advertising, public bashing or any other unfair business practice
by Ferrets Magazine towards Modern Ferret.  If it exists, show me.  If it
exists, go to the authorities.  Otherwise, please let this one rest.  It is
getting really ridiculous and is getting NOWHERE.  I know many people who
read BOTH publications, and don't feel that there only needs to be one.

Modern Ferret will somehow end up back on shelves, they just need to find
the right source and do some creative marketing (which they are probably
doing right now).  I wish them the best in their endeavors.

I just bought a new ferret toy.  Trader Joes has them.  They are wiener
dogs that squeak and the center is surrounded by hard rubber rings.  The
best thing about this toy is that the "stopper" in the bottom is covered by
the rings so they cannot remove it.  It also is easy to "squeak" so your
ferrets can cause it to make noise.  Many hours of fun for me and my crew.
Supervised, of course!  Too many fights over that one!