From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:05:20 -0500
Bruce wrote:
>ATTENTION FML - ATTENTION PLEASE!  I've heard this one over and over -
>that ECE stools have a bad smell.  THIS IS NOT TRUE.  I've worked with
>pure cases in ferrets in the lab (no possibility of other concurrent
>infections) and THERE IS NO BAD ODOR.  I'm not sure where this got
>started, but it is getting to the point where people are saying - "No
>smell, it's not ECE" and ferrets go on to get sick of untreated ECE.

Wow!  Thanks for that info!  I am among those who thought that the necrotic
odor was a feature of it.  Mea culpa.  Sorry.  Our's stunk to the point
where the smell filled our home, and we'd heard the same thing from others.

Is the smell possibly indicative of something else -- like damage from a
secondary infection, degree of intestinal damage, etc.?  Might noticing it
(Would have to have no sense of smell to miss it.) be helpful in figuring
out some other aspect of what is going on in such a situation?