From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:41:36 -0500
Dr. Williams wrote:
>ATTENTION FML - ATTENTION PLEASE!  I've heard this one over and over -
>that ECE stools have a bad smell.  THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Thank you so much for saying this, Dr. Williams.  I have two with ECE now
and have NEVER noticed a bad smell.  A number of other ferrets owners (some
very well respected) have told me that it isn't ECE if it doesn't smell
bad.  The ECE was diagnosed after eliminating other things through x-rays,
bloodwork, and fecal tests, AND a consultation with a vet at the Univ. of
Fla. vet school.  People STILL told me it couldn't possibly be ECE because
it doesn't smell.  I think this could be dangerous, as you stated, because
the ferret won't be properly treated.  Mine were actually exposed to two
newcomers for nearly 3 weeks before ECE symptoms appeared, well out of the
7-10 day "normal" range.  Of course, I listened to my vet and we proceeded
with ECE "treatment".

I would suspect that those whose feces smell strongly have some other
problem, such as parasites.  Now, THAT smells!  I can diagnose parasites
in my wildlife babies by smell alone.  It is then confirmed by a fecal and
medications are prescribed.  Antibiotics that are prescribed along with
ECE, for possible secondary infections, would also "cure" the parasites,
more than likely.

Katharine