From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:26:58 -0500
To Anonymous Poster-

The right number of ferrets is the number that you can afford to feed,
provide veterinary care for, and clean up after.  It varies from person
to person.

The one thing I would do, though, is decide as soon as you can if you want
more.  Many ferrets are happy being the only ferret in the home, but if
you delay too long, Peanut may not be able to adjust to another ferret.

After one of these critters steals your heart, it is difficult to resist
adding "just one more", or you find yourself saying "Gee, that pair in
the shelter that has to go together needs a home SO bad."

This is known as Ferret Math.

I went from four ferrets to seven in one month.  Then we lost one to
cancer, bringing me down to six.  I then had a pair from a shelter given
to me (one was deaf, and the other was her "hearing ear ferret"), two as
gifts from a breeder, and another elderly rescue from one of my husband's
coworkers.  Thus my statement--

Ferret Math is the only place in the universe where 7-1=11!

Melodyt and the nifty nine
(Missing my bridge kids--Bruno, Frisky, and Ginger)