From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:43:13 -0500
>From:    Manae Palsgrove <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal treatments
>I met someone in my area that told me that adrenal ferrets are caused by
>breeding ferrets that are to closely related.  What do you think?

Theories (and opinions) abound, but no one knows for sure.  It's probably
a combination of factors, one of which may be breeding.

>Next I was told by my vet that treatment for adrenal would be a shot every
>month until my ferrets symptoms were gone.  The shots would cost me $50.00
>a shot.  Could have to get them for only one month but could also take

This is probably Lupron.  It's not a cure, you know.  It does supress the
symptoms well and is most definitely a lifetime treatment, though there may
be periods in which your ferret can remain symptom free without the Lupron.

>Is this true , what have others experienced?  This woman that I met said
>that her vet gives it to you in a liquid and you give the ferret a certain
>amount and that it's very inexpensive.

I'm guessing of course, but this woman may be using Lysodren.  It is
relatively inexpensive and helps in some cases, but it's not the best
choice.  Personally, I wouldn't go near it, but that's my opinion.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc