From:
Jim & Laura Ferris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:12:55 -0500
Last week one of our guys caught an upper respiratory bug.  The vet put
him on antibiotics which this is the seventh day.  The thing is Garf keeps
having coughing spells (I've never had a ferret have a cough.  The cough is
wheezy and repetitious, like when ferrets sneeze repetitiously-only this is
not a sneeze, so I assume it's a cough...sounds like he's trying to clear
out his throat/nose).  I usually get up once a night with him coughing.
We give him a drink, a bit of ferretvite and cuddle him till he's sleeping
again.  Is there a way to treat this without antibiotics-I don't think
they've worked very well.  We take herbs and supplements ourselves, but I'm
afraid I might give a wrong dosage or something that would be not helpful
to a ferret.  Where can I find out about this kind of stuff?  We also use a
product called Ambertose that is supposed to help boost immune systems--has
anyone used that on ferrets?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Garf is playing and eating; he just has that wheezy, repetitious cough
that is hanging on.

Thank you!
Laura