Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:40:41 EST
Although I had been hoping of learning of the names and locations of vets
that are scrubbing hands and disinfecting the table for ten minutes in
between patients: especially in the Chicago area, I literally laughed out
loud with happiness to read of those of you with proper protocol being
followed.

To briefly answer questions-I am sure my vets that I wrote of do not wash
their hands or disinfect tables.  I am able to see where these Drs.  and
the assistant go.  To answer another question-it is easy to keep trying new
vets with my cats as there are many places to go to that have experience
with cats.  So far, I have not had any luck with the hand washing
sidinfection situation.

In the time I spend observing before the appointment and/or the 30 minutes
I wait after shots, I can see the Dr. going straight from room to room, or
from room, to the front desk, to the next room.  In this area, not a single
office I have ever been to has a sink in the rooms.  I go to the bathroom
when I get to the office and look around.  I ask questions.  I watch where
everyone goes and how many doors in and out of the rooms there are.  I even
look in the garbage can and feel the paper towels.  The garbage can is
usually empty and the towel roll still has that stickum seal stuff that
is on a brand new roll.  Yet, I am not the first person there.

There are very few vets that see ferrets on a regular basis in my area.
Like many of you, my choice is very limited.  So I need to bring in
disinfectant and spray the table myself to protect my guys.

Different layouts: Many of you have veterinarian offices with sinks in
each operatory apparently.  I have never seen this here in any office.
Interesting how greatly things can differ from town, state, or country.

Someone wrote that the names of veterinarians who had done some pretty
awful things or did not scrub their hands or disinfect the tables properly
and the locations of their offices be shared on-line on the FML.  I would
not do that if I were you.  People who have written to me quit offices
because of some serious problems.  Many of us need to put food on the
table.  We need job references.  We are not millionaires able to deal with
a law suit.  Not unless you video taped what was happening and are ready
for a lot of stress and strain and loss of time in your life.

I know what I have had happen to me with one vet.  I left four of my
ferrets with a vet who was supposed to be very familiar with ferrets so I
could go on vacation for a week.

I called every single day.  I was told they were all fine.  I came home to
find them with bones showing: one had been shaved all over with multiple
small cuts all over.  Baby was limp.  Once out of the carrier, she
stumbled, and lay to urinate a pool of urine and blood.  All were coughing
and had diarrhea.  I brought them to another office the next morning
believing they would have to be euthanized.  That is how bad the situation
was.

I DID let Norm and Mary of GCFA know.  I was not the only one who did so,
he said.  Several people feel their ferrets died as a direct result of
this vet, he said.  I have no intention of telling anyone here her name or
location.  I advise the same caution to all of you.

Do I believe the other situations that were shared with me?  I believe them
just as much as I believe those of you who wrote of offices where proper
protocal is followed.

Again-my thanks for sharing the information you have.  To the veterinarians
and all else who wrote- I would never give your names or what you told me
in privacy to everyone or anyone.  It is a not happening thing.

My receptionist is still not able to work with her broken ribs.  I am
working many hours, including today, and will be for at least two weeks
more.  But I will try to return every ones e-mails written thus far over
the next few months.

Many thanks
Lisette