From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:18:12 -0500
Pam wrote:
>In addition to the standard things like not moving furniture, letting
>her sniff hands before picking her up, and talking to her gently, taking
>advantage of her sense of smell has really helped her.  I use vanilla
>extract for the most part - I have this big bottle of the real stuff that
>came from Mexico - but probably lots of things would work fine.  I soak a
>paper towel with vanilla and then rub the towel on corners, the edges of
>doors, furniture, baseboards, etc..., all at weasel-height, paying special
>attention to areas where she has more trouble navigating.

What GREAT ideas!  Warp's vision is slowly depleting and we'll have to try
the scent approach on things, too.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  Think I'll try
essential oils in relation to furniture because might be better for wood
than alcohol.  Might even assign scents by room for orientation and see
if that seems to work at all.  (Will avoid my personal favorite, violet,
since that interferes with sense of smell which is why is seems to fade
and reappear so magically.)

There are lamps that can be put right on floors or put into outlet sockets
so are more at pet height and we have seen using these help critters with
cataracts.

Randy wrote:
>was trained by Dr. Weiss and I'm told he has a video out for those of you
>who have vets who want to learn the procedure.

The video actually covers a NUMBER of essential procedures and more.  It's
a gem, and a very affordable and useful way for vets, vet students, and
other health pros to learn compared to seminars.  Also, great for ferret
clubs.  Yes, it is expensive but the market is small and the making of it
cost through the nose so it not in any way unfair.  It's priced right for
the situation and saves money compared to seminars or even travel.  Info
about it can be found along with important health articles at
http://www.ferretdoctor.com .
He has also sold these to help vets overseas so don't let geography become
a barrier.  Topics covered include: common ferret surgical procedures,
diagnosis and clinical signs of adrenal disease and insulinoma,
cryosurgery, partial pancreatectomy,splenic tumors, gastric hairballs,
replacement hormonal therapy following bilateral adrenal surgery, and so
on with detailed information.  Makes me grateful for the chance to have
vets most up to date.

Hey, I am grateful for the FML, too, and for Bill Gruber.