From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:52:49 -0500
Troy Lynn wrote:
>We tend to see odd things here and as our vet said, if it is going to
>happen it will probably happen to us.

We get told that sort of thing, too, but, you know, I don't think it's odd
at all.  Like you we tend to "go the extra mile' so ferrets which someone
else would have given up on and had destroyed before-hand get second,third,
fourth... chances since often enough careful care at home and good use of
vets' expertise will get one through a rough spell.  I think that the sorts
of things Troy Lynn sees (good and bad) are the same sorts of things others
will see when they have been around ferrets longer and know more about
care.  Ditto what we see.  We just make vets more aware of what CAN happen;
that's all.  My bet is that a number of the other old timers get told
exactly this same thing, but expect there alos it's largely because their
ferrets don't pass away prematurely from curable or treatable things, as
too many still do.

Just read Joe's comment.  Yes, those two books are marvelous.  There is
also _Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents, clinical medicine and surgery_ by Kathy
Quesenberry and Liz Hillyer available here in the U.S..  Love that book
as well, and it is still in print and in the publisher's catalog, though
one might have to contact WB Saunders Publications to get it (Do not have
number handy.).  (Saunders has an absolutely incredible veterinary
dictionary, too, BTW, and it's good buy.).  Had not heard of Karen's book
being out of print; worth asking at 1-800-252-2242 (AAHA Press); do think
that both edition of the Fox book are out of print now.  The second is so
much better than the first.