From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:41:04 GMT
>I just was wondering if anyone ever had a ferret with an ulcer that comes
>back and the meds this time don't seem to help.  I guess what I need here
>is someone who has had the same thing happen to their ferret with an ulcer.
>... If anyone knows of a medicine that might work better please email me
>privately with the name.

Hi Michele,

I'm posting this here because I had trouble sending it to your e-mail.  I
guess the ground/soaked/mixed TF didn't work after all.  Sorry.

*IF* he has helicobacter infection that isn't responding (long-term) to
meds already prescribed, you may want to suggest trying Biaxin
(Chlorythromycin) and Amoxicillin (both are antibiotics) to your vet.
Dosage and recommendation information can be found at
www.ferretcentral.org.
Scroll down to 'The Ferret Medical FAQS' and 'click' on gastric ulcers/H.
mustelae.

I have one that had a recurring infection and ulcer(s).  She is doing well
after suggesting and trying the above mentioned meds.  Both antibiotics
have to be given to be effective.  The course of treatment usually lasts 14
days as opposed to 4-6 weeks for Amoxicillin and Metronidazole (Flagyl).
Biaxin is expensive (I paid $27.95), but I feel it was worth it because it
worked (knock on wood) and because I didn't have to struggle with trying to
give Metronidazole for 1-1 1/2 months (mine disliked it even when I had it
compounded).  Two things to consider:
1) Biaxin comes in a dried crystal form that has to be mixed with liquid,
and will expire 10 days after doing so.  If you go this route be sure to
ask your pharmacist to equally divide it in half.  He or she can then mix
one half while you're there, and send the other half of the powder and the
liquid (in separate bottles) home with you.  Seven to ten days later simply
mix the second half and discard the first.

2) Mine didn't care too much for the crystal/grainy texture, but loved the
flavor (fruit).  I gave her daily doses of Pepto Bismol thirty minutes
prior to giving the Biaxin because it upset her stomach and she wasn't able
to hold the first dose down.  I also gave it in a little bit of baby food
mixed with Pedialyte (store brand is fine) to disguise the texture and
further prevent any nausea and/or vomiting.  As with the 'old' treatment,
Pepto Bismol should be included as part of the 'new' treatment as well.
It contains Bismuth, which is said to facilitate the healing of ulcers.

In addition to Carafate you might try using Pepcid AC (on the advice or
recommendation of a vet) if excess stomach acid is suspected/present.

Hope this helps and that he gets (and stays) better.

Sonya (who is *not* a vet, vet tech, etc.)