From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:26:29 -0400
Spending a lot of time in the vet's office this year.  Oh, well, that's
part of why we save.

Six year old Warp has a growth on her side ,brand new -- reminds me some of
fatty tumors in people except for the pigment part.  It's about the size of
a pencil eraser, very faintly pigmented, completely rounded at sides and
top, and smooth with no damage to the skin showing, and the texture of a
gummy worm candy.  There is no fur loss.  Most skin bumps in our ferrets'
pasts have been mast cell tumors, but we have run into several others over
the years, as have many ferret-folk.  This doesn't present like a typical
mast cell growth.

She'll go in on Saturday.

Seven of Six has incredible tail acne; her appendage must take after my
face., so out come the veterinary Oxy Dex and the soft toothbrush... :-)

Have had several people recently write me about what to do post-surgically
for ferrets' best health.  On and off am very lacking in time so can't
always be timely in response.  There are WONDERFUL tips from Alicia in a
past issue of Modern Ferret, and you should be able to find many
discussions form numerous people on the topic right here in old FML files
by using the search feature.  Glad that people ask, because so very often
the nursing received at home makes all the difference once the surgery is
done.  Each is important.

Diane wrote:

>Unfortunately, I have noticed there are always some people who lay in
>wait... There is no waiting to see if perhaps something unknown to them
>has occurred ... if there are other circumstances involved... just "Let's
>light the torches and flame...
   and
>I prefer to hear from people who are willing to help by education,
>not torch, and who are civilized enough to find if they are indeed in
>possession of all the facts.

Actually, I suspect some of those people who said things responded the
way they did because they remembered some past situations in which people
who were NOT animal control officers or police officers acted in a rash
fashion instead of seeking alternatives and had the entire thing blow up
big-time -- not only in their faces but in those of other ferret people in
their communities.  There seems to be less generalization about ferret-folk
now-a-days, but MANY recall when such things have happened.  As an animal
control officer and policeman I am sure that Ron, himself, probably knows
of some similar true stories, and expect that he would want others to put
in the extra work needed to use a legal approach.  Haven't known many
cops who are wild about vigilantism! ;-)  Sometimes it's all in the
perspective...

Pete, that's just a combo of his personality and your ability in getting
the cage just right for his taste and needs.  Yes, we have and have had
ones like that, though not all of them by any means.  Partly means you
did a very good job.

Another great issue for learning medical/health things in 3180!  Can the
list get any more valuable?

Susan, I can't recall EVER hearing of a hinge accident before.  You have
taught us all about something which is important to know.  Steve and I are
very sorry to read about your little Phoebe, but you had no more way to
expect that than any of the rest of us.  Thank you for teaching us all and
helping save our ferrets.

The flip-side of firmer farm controls include 1.  the dangers that the same
places will then go back entirely to lab animals (MF) or fur (at least one
of the other farms), or explore new non-pet options, and 2.  the risk that
back yard breeders who are even worse will take up the slack.  Those are
EXCELLENT reasons to seek a balance that LEAST endangers ferrets while
being workable.  Simply, there can NOT be a perfect solution as long as
fitch-fur is sold, ferrets are used in lab work (some of which is NOT
dangerous or painful, and some labs adopt out the ferrets as pets
afterwards, but some of which is quite otherwise), and there continue to
be the small and almost totally unregulated back yard breeders which are
the worst of all worlds.  Conscientious private breeders continue to be
the best, but DO NOT judge by LOOKS; judge by the TEMPERAMENTS, HEALTH
AND LONGEVITY OF THE LINE.

Thanks, Leigh, on taking the constructive approach!