From:
Willow Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:37:27 CDT
I spoke with a friend of mine in Ohio who has owned and operated a mink
farm for many years concerning the released minks.  He said that mink
farms to the best of his knowledge are using minks that have been bred in
captivity since the 40 s.This would be approximately 60 generations as
minks breed once every year.  He explained that wild minks have coats that
are undesirable by the coat makers.  Like ferrets they have been bred to
have many types of coat colors and consistencies where as wild minks have
slightly rougher dark brown fur.  I cannot stand the thought of minks being
bred for coats but I can see clearly enough that these breeders are not
breaking any laws by running these farms.  Some are not run well but those
don t last long because they are in this for money.  If they don t take
care of these animals they will not have the quality pelts that the coat
makers are looking for.  Groups like these need to focus on changing the
laws concerning the fur industry instead of putting their energy into doing
more harm to these animals then good.  A large portion of those minks that
were let loose will starve because while much of their skills are still
instinct, their mother would have taught them several survival skills had
they been wild.  These animals know little more then someone is going to
come in daily and fill their food and water dishes much like our ferrets
do.  The ones that do have the motivation to try to hunt<they are by no
stretch stupid animals>will possibly do damage to the local wildlife as
well as nearby farms that may be raising chickens or other small animals.
I have heard in many cases that a lot of the animals are found.  Hopefully
this will be the case with this farm before any more are hit by cars.

I have had pet minks for almost 5 years now and know many others who also
have minks as pets.  Mine came from my friend s farm when they were very
small and are wonderful, loving animals.  They are far more high strung
then a ferret but lovable all the same.  I get very angry when I think
about groups that break the law by letting these animals loose even if
they are doing it with good intentions.  I get equally angry when I think
of the minks being used as coats and fertilizer.  I do have to step back
and realize that these farms wouldn t exist if humans weren t buying the
coats made from these minks.  This is what those activist groups need to
work on.  I have shown many people my minks, when they realize how
beautiful they are alive and how many of the animals it takes to make one
coat they truly do stop and think about what they have bought.  It would
amaze you how many people have no idea what a mink looks like.  If more
people that were against fur coats and mink farms tried this they might get
farther with their cause.  Most people are not heartless just uninformed.

Willow with Stinky, Tigger, Princess ,Pauly, Mork and Mindy and missing my
Fuzzy Angels Bellboy, Marvin, Winkey, Heidi, Salty, Pepper, Baby, Twiggy
and the Wonder dog Ozzie