From:
FurTulsa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 06:13:48 -0500
I would like to offer another viewpoint to the comments made by the
Anonymous Poster on selling pet ferrets.

>... They describe the ferrets, list what they think is a fair price, and
>then name another price to include the cage and accessories.  That people
>trade their pets like commodities is so sad!
>
>I can understand making a payment to a shelter who is trying to save, and
>bear the expense, of many ferrets.  But an owner, whatever their financial
>situation, should be trying to find the best home for their pet, not the
>best price. ...
>I will agree the main consideration should be a proper home and not the
>highest price... however to me the indicated people should give the
>ferrets away for no charge.

I totally disagree, for the ferrets sake.  It is pretty much considered
common knowledge that advertising a free animal is just asking for trouble.
TYPICALLY speaking, the type of person who will go out of their way to look
for the cheapest or free pet will also not be willing to spend the money
for quality food, supplies, vet care etc... since the animal was free it
is seen as disposable.

As a shelter, you would be sickened to know how many times a sick ferret is
turned in with comments such as "well I got it for free from an ad so why
should I spend $300 now when I can get another cheap one?"

I discourage people to advertise a free or cheap pet.  If someone is
willing to take on the responsibility of a pet they should be ready and
willing to pay a fair price.

Now I am NOT including:
Asking for a new home for ferrets on the FML or similar sources.  Because
in my way of thinking you ARE already seeking out caring, knowledgeable
ferret owners.
 [or]
Giving a ferret to friends you KNOW will take proper care of them.  I am
speaking strictly of blind advertising to the general public.

As a shelter operator, I have been know to allow an adoption for no charge
in special cases or for a special needs rescue yes... but anyone calling
and the first words out of their mouth are things like "whats the
cheapest?"... you can guarantee they will not be approved for adoption.
That as an opening statement tells me where their priorities lay.

Just my 2 cents.

Susan Malone
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Of Tulsa