From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:05:24 -0400
When I see a kit at the pet store I think the same thing that I think
now.  "Loving, darling, innocent, deserving, fantastic, amazing, beautiful
creatures".  I own three fuzzies, all are Marshall Farms.  Two were bought
as kits from a pet store, the third a rescue shelter.

I love them all dearly.  I would not plan to buy another ferret from a pet
store because there are already so many needing homes.  Of course as you
bring up the ones in pet stores also need loving homes.  As ferrets become
more popular, there will sadly be many more abandoned fuzzies.  As with
all pets hopefully more ferrets will be adopted and breeders and farms
will slow production.  At least ferrets are generally sold neutered so
they have one thing helping to slow their overpopularization.

Luckily most people love, care for, and spoil their pets.  However, many
domestic pets are sadly exposed to neglectful homes.  Ferrets, being a new
and fairly unknown breed, are probably in store for a lot of mistreatment.

Breeders, farms, and pet stores should all do their part to educate their
customers.  They have a responsibility to the animals they breed.

[RI]