From:
Mal Chick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:03:09 EDT
Pardon my rather heated post, but I have been reading these posts about
the improper handling and lack of education on pets that many pet store
employees and owners display.

I do not understand how someone could be hired to help people acquire and
care for pets with so little knowledge of even BASIC animal care skills.
You don't pick up any creature by the head.  I don't know of any animal
whose head and neck structure can support the weight of the rest of it's
body.  I know pet stores are retail businesses like any other, but if they
sell live animals, they should have SOME KIND of screening or training for
those who will handle or sell the animals.  I have rarely talked to or
overheard a pet store employee, especially in the larger chains, who really
seemed knowledgeable, or made any sense.  THe horror stories read on this
list alone are enough proof that change is needed.

I am ready to do something about this.  Several pet stores in the Charlotte
area are staffed by idiots, and their animals are suffering for it.  They
are being handed down from an unknowledgeable store to an uneducated and
unprepared consumer.

If anyone can recommend some online sources for ferret-awareness and
education brochures, and maybe some tips on how I should go about this, I
would be MOST grateful.  The pet store fuzzies deserve just as good a home
as the shelter kids, and they're probably being treated much worse than the
caring shelters.

I will be out of town until Sunday, August 27, so if you email me, please
know that a reply will come your way at that time.

THank you for your support!!!

~Jessica