From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:31:20 -0400
>From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>"They say that some ferrets that test positive for ADV antibodies may never
>come down with the full spectrum disease.  I privately question this... did
>they not say this about AIDS all along?  But if the person is alive long
>enough to contract the disease does not every person that tests for HIV
>eventually come down with full blown AIDS?  I may be incorrect with this.
>Even if I am I feel certain that those cases would not be the majority."

You put this in quotes, so I'm not certain if you are quoting someone else
or yourself.  In any event, I might be able to help answer the question.

There are certain people infected with HIV who are termed "Long Term
Non-Progressors" (LTNP), that is, they survive more than X years (I can't
remember offhand what the current requirement for X is) and don't develop
AIDS.  And I think an additional requirement is that they have low viral
loads.  I know of a certain case where a woman, infected by heterosexual
transmission and/or IV drug use is now 16 years post-infection and yet is
quite healthy.  For most of these years she has refused anti-viral therapy,
and has carried a very high viral load in her blood, yet she is not
progressing to AIDS.  Since she is not progressing and yet carries a high
viral load, they aren't quite sure how to categorize her (I'd call her
extremely fortunate!) - whether as a true LTNP or not.  There are also
cases of sex workers in Africa who are repeatedly exposed and yet either
never seroconvert (become HIV+) or else they become positive but never
develop disease.

>For example if a ferret is exposed and then tests positively for ADV at
>say one year old or less.....if he were able to live for ten plus years...
>wouldn't he evennnntually come down with the disease?

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think we know enough about the disease in
ferrets to be able to make this statement.  Vets on the list may know more.

Karen
Let me be a shadow in Your light
Just a small reflection of a greater love
Let me be a shadow in Your light
That falls on the lost and the lonely
                        -- Lenny LeBlanc
No trees were harmed in the production of
this message.  However, a rather large number
of electrons were somewhat inconvenienced.
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html