From:
"Greenfield, Beatrice" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:58:51 -0400
I was wondering if there were regulations for the care of ferrets in Pet
shops- more specifically the cages.  I went to a local pet shop yesterday
and they had 2 baby ferrets for sale.  They were born in late May, priced
at $130 each.  Anyway the ferrets were both in a small fish tank-it could
not be much bigger than 18inches long, 12inches high, and 9inches wide
(guestimation).  The ferrets had to lay on their backs or sides to drink
from the water bottles, they stood up and pushed their noses on the screen
lid to get out, and the tank had a layer of what looked like some kind of
shred paper.  The ferrets themselves looked full grown or over weight.
There was a headhog and chinchilla in similar sized cages on the front desk
next to them.  I was appalled-I wanted to buy them just to get them out of
the cage, but I am planning a wedding and don't have that kinda cash to
spare.  I actually went in to see if they had any larger cages then the one
I have my ferret in, hers is big, but I'd like to get her a tall one like
the store I originally bought her from had her in, it was shoulder height.
There were cages for sale, the size of mine, in the store.  I guess the
store doesn't feel its worth it to put ferrets in ferret cages!!!!!!

Is there anything we can do for these poor ferrets???

Thank you~Beatrice