From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:23:19 EDT
This was written in the Sept./Oct. issue of "Ferretorials" by the
President, Cam McIntosh in "President's Corner":

(Regarding the GCFA show in Wheaton, IL)

>We are asking that you DO NOT bring your ferrets down there.  They have
>had a horrible outbreak of Aleutians' Disease and I really don't want it
>brought to us.  A good friend of mine had three of her ferrets at the
>show last year and caught it.  The ferrets aren't doing well.

I called Cam, a good friend of mine, about this as I hadn't heard of any
ferrets in Milwaukee that had taken ADV back with them.  Cam told me that
she was, in fact, talking about *my* ferrets.  Obviously, at some point a
misunderstanding occurred.  Perhaps it was in the wording of my posts to
the FML, apf, etc.  I *did* say that, subsequent to the 1999 GCFA show,
my ferrets tested positive for ADV, but I *meant* that they were positive
without my knowing it when I took them to the show.  I know for a fact that
they DID NOT catch it at the show.  I can see now how it could have been
taken that they "caught" it there.  That isn't true and I'm asking Cam to
write a correction in her next newsletter.  Since that won't come out in
time for the GCFA show, I'm also posting this here.  I really feel bad
about this misunderstanding.

If you want to take your ferrets to the GCFA show, PLEASE don't be afraid
to.  As far as I know (and I've spoken with several different vets in my
area), my ferrets are the only ones that have any signs of ADV in this
area.  I have not heard of ANY ferrets that took AD home with them from
the GCFA show last year.  Of course, take precautions as at any show.  It's
best you do not handle anyone else's ferrets, nor allow anyone to handle
yours, except for the judges, who use a parvocide after judging each
ferret.

"We" do NOT have a "horrible outbreak of Aleutians' Disease" in this area.
*I* have one, but no one else does to my knowledge and I think I would have
heard.

I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding that my post earlier this
year may have caused. :(

Judy