From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:04:02 EDT
Lynn,

At one point I heard that someone "might" be speaking on Aleutian Disease
at the symposium.  Is this true?  Due to the generosity of a dear friend,
Julie Fossa, I am going to attend the symposium.  As some of you know,
several of my ferrets tested positive for ADV antibodies early this year.
Since that time, at least 2 (Charmin' Charlie and White Russian) have
become ill with the virus.  Both have confirmed hypergammaglobulemia.
The others have not had blood work ups done.

I have been sending samples of my ADV positive ferrets' blood, saliva and
urine to both research teams.  I first sent samples to Dr. Robert L.
Stephon of Avecon Diagnostics, who is working with Dr. Rosenthal, to
develop a more accurate test for ADV...one that will test for the antigens,
not just the antibodies.  Dr. Stephon contacted my vet and requested more
blood from White Russian.  Russian was the first ferret Dr. Stephon found
(other people had sent samples to him) that had the antigens as well as
the antibodies.  Although normally, a fairly low percentage of the samples
sent in are found to contain antigens, Dr. Stephon found that 100% of the
samples I sent him contained antigens.  That included White Russian,
Chablis, Samson, Kodiak, Charmin' Charlie and an ADV positive rescue I
took in.

I was then asked to send samples to Dr. M.A.  Stevenson in GA, as none of
the samples sent to her contained antigens and the antigens are needed to
develop these tests, which Dr. Stevenson is also working on.  I have
started sending them, although my ferrets were so stressed by this time,
that they had to be put under anesthetic to draw the samples.  We're doing
a few at a time, as my vet can fit into her schedule and I can afford.
Trying to learn about this disease is not inexpensive.

I'm hoping someone at the symposium will address the AD issue as I have
found it to be an extremely heartbreaking and frustrating disease to deal
with.  I've spoken with Dr. Weiss, Dr. Rosenthal, Dr. Stevenson (who is
also a virologist), Dr. Jerry Murray and others...and always receive the
same reply to whatever questions I ask.  "No one really knows." Dr.
Stevenson feels that it's impossible to tell at this point even how the
virus is transmitted, much less what the disease will bring, since the
virus has almost certainly mutated since it was previously studied.  Both
Russian and Charlie have early chronic kidney failure, which is thought
to be due to the AD.  Russian has also been found to be adrenal.  Since
surgery is not recommended for ferrets with AD, he got his first Lupron
injection yesterday.  Even Dr. Weiss couldn't tell me if the Lupron would
harm Russian...studies have never been done on adrenal disease in ferrets
with AD.  :(

Whether or not anyone speaks on AD, I'll be at the symposium and would love
to meet everyone!

Judy Gronwold