From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:53:15 -0400
Jaime wrote:
>Um, I may be ignorant here, so excuse me if I am, but why on earth would
>you give a ferret Benedryl??

Pediatric Benedryl Elixer can be useful for ferrets with asthma, or for
ferrets who will soon have vaccinations.  As with humans it can make them
drowsy and like with any med there will be times and individuals who
shouldn't have it, which is why the vet has to okay it, but it's among
the OTCs which do have their places in ferrets' lives.  If you check with
your vet you'll find that it's quite common for vets to recommend it for
certain uses and has been for a good chunk of time.

The first time I heard of Preperation H being used to help reduce tissue
inflammation for rectal prolapses in ferrets I was amazed and had to ask,
too, but it really does get used for some cases.  Know what it's like to
be amazed on the OTC score.

On hospital letter head the vet(s) should express interest to:

Dr. Zack Mills, Director of Marketing
Merial Ltd.
115 Transtech Dr.
Athens, GA 30601