Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 19:39:00 EDT
Last night I was delighted to find the ferret with the loveliest face
following me everywhere.  He wanted to curl in my lap and nap.  He slept
on the blanket next to my head last night.  He is the portrait of snuggly
languid loveliness.  His dainty gentleness and demure calm are traits that
I feel are unusual in ferrets this young.

We sat on a chair in the den, and I heard a crunchy digging noise.  I
turned to see Sunny Rhino Mudd burrowing through a large cat litter box:
snorkling and diving and digging.

I watched as he leaped out and pried open a large plastic bin of kitty
litter with his nose.  He leaped in and went round and round in the large
plastic bin that holds 40 pounds of litter.  He was wild.  He was filthy.
I never knew a ferret could be so grubby.

Tonight I sat cleaning kitty litter boxes.  I had piled all the poopy
litter in this giant litter box after I had filled up the garbage bin.
I saw a blur of silver black fly into the germy mucky gross litter.
Snorkeling, digging, litter with poop flying onto the tile floor, churning,
twisting body rolling, undulating.  I sat mesmerized that any animal could
be so foul, stinky, dusty, bizerk,and disgusting.

The animal lay on its back in the litter and the dust flying all around
settled down.  A face looked over at me with a smile:

The loveliest face I have ever seen.

I know my eyes dilated and my mouth opened.
I know I was stunned.
I could feel abrupt momentary halt of my metabolism.

My cream puff--my dream puff of silken softness
Oh, fairest  ferret vision :

alas-
I was too late to save him.