From:
Jammy Blackburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:07:38 -0800
Hi fmlers!
I e-mailed Procter and Gamble asking them if they tested on animals and
they gave a me a surprising answer!  Please read, it is pasted below!

xoxo

jammy

"Thanks for contacting Procter & Gamble about product safety testing.  I'm
happy to share some information about our program.

The finished formulations in our non-food and non-drug products are no
longer tested on animals.  We've been able to reach this milestone by
working with other companies, universities, and respected animal rights
groups to develop non-animal alternatives and get these alternatives
accepted by government agencies that review product safety.

Our investment of over $120 million in alternatives is a good one: the use
of animals is avoided and alternatives usually cost less and take less
time.  Even when we come across a totally new ingredient or technology
we're able, in most cases, to use existing safety information and
non-animal tests to prove safety.  If we come across a situation when even
the most advanced alternatives available can't prove the safety of a new
ingredient, we may have to rely on a minimal amount of animal research to
make sure the ingredient is safe for human use.  In these rare times, we
design the tests to minimize stress to the animals.  All animals are under
the care of a veterinarian and our labs consistently exceed the standard of
care set by the American Veterinary Association.

I appreciate your interest in this important issue.  For additional
information about product safety testing, alternatives progress, and
government regulations, you might visit the following websites:

www.pg.com/animalalternatives/ (P&G site)
www.biorap.org                 (Biological Research for Animals & People)
altweb.jhsph.edu/              (Alternatives to Animal Testing site)
www.fda.gov                    (Food & Drug Administration site)
www.epa.gov                    (Environmental Protection Agency site)
www.hsus.org/programs/research/alternatives.html (Humane Society of the
                                                  United States site)
http://www.ampef.org/          (Americans for Medical Progress Educational
                                Foundation)

Barbra
USA P&G Team"

 ---

 **Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.**
"If people were Superior to Animals, they'd take better care of the world"
 A.A.Milne