Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:59:37 -0600
I think I have recovered enough (that is, I am off enough drugs to drive)
to take my long-awaited vacation; I am tentatively planning to leave
Saturday or Sunday, March 4th or 5th.  After getting a LOTof requests to
stop and talk or visit, I have worked out the basic route west to see as
many people as possible as well as do the stuff I want to do.  This is a
vacation, so I plan on burning a lot of film, fry my face and legs in the
sun and pick up lots of cool rocks to replace the ones that have rattled
out of my head.  I am still wiling to add more stops for visits or talks,
but you have to ask no later than Friday morning.  Because of the nature
of late requests, you need to send directions and a contact phone number;
there will not be time to send it in a separate email.

Those who have already asked me to stop, even if I haven't yet said I would
(I haven't told anyone I would stop yet), imediately send a contact phone
number and directions form the interstate.  I have made efforts to stop and
see all who have asked, even if it will only be for an hour or so.  All of
you should be getting a confirmation email tonight or tomorrow.  If you
asked and I have not sent a confirmation email, just assume I missed the
request and ask again; I have made the attempt to accept each request I
know about.

Because this is a vacation and I do not really know how well I will stand
up to all the driving, the trip is planned via route rather than by time.
I will call each person one or two days before stopping; that is the best
I can do at the moment.  I will follow this route, although I am still
willing to take small detours off to visit groups or people who have yet
to ask, provided I consider the distance reasonable.  If every thing works
out, I will see more than 100 FML members in the next couple of weeks.
Man, that is one hell of a lot of tacos and beer!  I am planning to keep a
photographic record of my ferret experiences and if possible, I will write
up a funny tale and send it to Modern Ferret.  Maybe Eric will print my
proposed moon shot.  Boy, would THAT get his magazine yanked off the
shelves!

I-44 W  (through Springfield MO, Tulsa and Oklahoma City OK) to I-40.
I-40 W (through Amarillo TX, Albuquerque NM) to I-25.
I-25 S (through Las Cruces NM, El Paso TX) to I-10.
I-10 W (through Tucson AZ, Phoenix AZ) to I-17.
A short and secret detour north on I-17, then back south to I-8.
I-8 W (through Yuma AZ, El Centro CA, San Diego CA).
Various stops throughout  southern California
I-99 N (through Bakersfield CA, Fresno CA, Modesto CA, Sacramento CA)
        to I-80.
I-80 W (through Reno NV, Lovelock NV) to H-95.
H-95 S (through Fallon NV, Tonopah NV) to I-15.
I-15 N (through Las Vegas NV) to H-9.
H-9 E (through Zion NP) to H-89.
H-89 N and connectors (through Bryce Canyon NP, Natural Bridges NM,
       Arches NP) to I-70.
I-70 E (through Grand Junction CO) to H-50.
H-50 E (through Gunnison CO) to H-17.
H-17 S and connectors (through Alamosa CO, Great Sand Dunes NM) to I-25.
I-25 N (through Colorado Springs CO, Denver CO) to I-70.
I-70 E (through Manhattan KS, KC KS) to Columbia MO.

There will be short detours off the route to accomodate photos and ferret
visits and I am willing to make more of them provided I am asked prior to
Friday morning.  As I've said, I have no idea how I will physically respond
during this trip, and I have no idea of the time needed for photos and
visiting, talks, and recovering from tacos and beer, so arrival times are
at best tenative.  I might even get a hair up my rear and detour to
someplace not on the list.  I will have FML members post "Bob Sightings"
so people down the line can judge rough arrival times, and I will call all
people who have asked me to stop at least a day before I get there.  One or
two people might have noticed I am somewhat homesick for my beloved desert
and ocean.  This trip takes me through the most spectacular places in the
world.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Wandering Weasels