From:
Jaclyn Vanderhoef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:53:09 -0800
Hi all!
My fiance and I have four ferrets, a cat, a dog, and two little anoles.
On our way back from the convenience store last night we spied a domestic
bunny in the road, on a blind curve.  So, we stopped to get him.  I could
get almost within a food of him and then he'd bolt.  After several failed
attempts at catching the "wascally wabbit" a cop happened by.  (I live in
the boonies) With his flashlight, we had an easier time following him and
with three of us on him, all with coats to throw over him, our chances of
success were increasing.  Well, the bunny goes under the patrol car.  And
then, up the bank on the side of the road and into a horse pasture.  By
this time, we had followed the bunny about a quarter mile.  He was getting
tired and we successfully got him.  As soon as Shanon, my fiance, pulled
him in to his chest, he calmed right down.  The pet store wasn't still
open, so we fed him some carrots, granola bar and apple.  He seems content.
I checked the house rabbit society page for bunny info and learned lots
of stuff.  I want to find his owner if he is well-loved, but on the other
hand, what if he is one of those neglected, unloved backyard hutch bunnies?
(Not that all outdoor bunnies are unloved.) I don't want to send him back
to dredgery.  He's skittish, but sweet.  And what if I can't find the owner
anyway?  Is it fair to the rabbit to keep him?  Do the smells of all the
ferrets and cat and dog put a constant stress on him????  I've kept him
away from all the animals of course, but I know he can smell them.

Anyone with bunnies and ferrets as pets, please email me.  Let me know how
you handle things and how the bun takes to it.  I want the best for the
little critter, whatever that may be.

Thank you in advance.  I really appreciate any info you might be able to
offer me.
Sincerely,
Jacki

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child
as it is to the caterpillar.  -Bradley Miller, Founder, Humane Farming
Association