From:
Karen O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:06:13 -0800
Hello,

My name is Karen O'Neal and am the owner of the ferret who had a intestinal
blockage surgery Sunday, one week ago.

His name is Gabriel, and was perfectly fine Saturday (3/11).  Sunday, he
was in the dresser drawer sleeping all day - even late into the evening
hours.

That's unusual for him because he usually comes out at least by noon to
wander around, eat, drink, poop, and play.  This time I had to get him out
of the drawer.  When I picked him up, he just laid in my arms with his eyes
closed.  He wouldn't move.  He wouldn't give kisses.  And, he wouldn't open
his eyes.  His favorite treat had no affect on him at all.  He even let my
husband hold him.  Normally, my husband will get nipped by him, unless he's
being given a treat.  His behavior was totally out of character and I knew
that something was terribly wrong.

So, we rushed him to the Emergency Clinic in Cary,NC.  Dr. Valenciano
checked him out and suspected a blockage.  He asked me if "he could've
gotten into anything?"

I didn't think so.  I pretty well ferret-proofed the places he's allowed in
before I got him.  Emergency surgery showed that it was a piece of dried
pineapple.  The only place he could've have gotten it was the 8in1 Pro
Ultra Blend Fruit & Crunch Treats for ferrets that I've been giving him!

Dr. Valenciano said that ferrets do NOT digest carbohydrates well.

Why is the company putting food in their ferret treats that ferrets should
not have?  Do they not know that it can harm and sometimes kill the
ferrets?

If they don't know, then it's time that someone told them.  They should not
be putting this food in the treats!

I think that using the words "For Ferrets" in the description on the can is
false advertising and bad faith!

So, people please, for your ferret's health do not give your ferrets 8in1
Pro Ultra Blend Fruit & Crunch Treats or 8in1 Pro Ultra Blend Peanut Butter
Crunch Treats.  You may think it's safe to give it to your ferret because
you've been doing it and nothing has happened to your ferret/s.  Is it
worth risking your ferret's life?

I'm here to tell you from personal experience, "No, it is not worth it!"

Please join us in writing to the company and letting them know about the
damage that their product can do:

 Eight in One Pet Products, Inc
 2100 Pacific St.
 Hauppauge, NY 11788

If you need a "form letter" to expedite your writing to 8in1 to complain
about this food product, please contact me and I will provide it.

Sincerely,

Karen O'Neal