From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:52:34 -0800
I've watched the discussion on the change of ownership of Iams, and would
just like to make this comment.

It is not new or unusual for companies to sell off or purchase segments of
businesses.  I agree, when this happens, there can be a sharp increase or
decrease in the quality and/or pricing of their product, including
discontinuations.

Proctor and Gamble, -I believe their website is pg.com, has been in
business for a long time.  Companies that produce shoddy products do not
grow and prosper the way this company has.

I can guarantee the product formulations for Iams and Eukanuba Kitten will
change.  Historically, this company has never been satisfied with staying
the same.  They have always continued to find better ways of doing
business.  With the Iams purchase, I believe one of these objectives is to
promote growth through accessibility.

P&G is NOT afraid of offering a premium product.  Look at your grocery
store shelves.  They are full of many of P&G's 'upper priced' products
ranging from toothpastes, deodorants, laundry detergents, fabric softeners,
paper towels, bathroom tissue, and the list goes on.  Many of their own
brands compete against each other.

I do not work for Procter and Gamble.  But I did for many years.  I saw
products go through constant improvements.  Yes, there were economics
involved, but not at the expense of the quality of their product.  If the
most stringent quality standards are not met, the product does not reach
the consumer.  If a consumer does encounter a problem, they may be given
coupons for products, or other compensation.

I do not know how Colgate or any other manufacturing firm runs their
business, but I do know, first hand, the standards Procter and Gamble
operate under.  Personally, I would question one company's discertation
about how another company does business, unless the individual had actually
worked for both.  However, laws do apply to all.

I would suggest this: if you have a concern about the choice or quality
of ingredients or the formulation of the Iams Kitten or Eukanuba Kitten,
contact them.  Tell them 'what' and 'why'.  (if the employees see the '800'
call comments, you can believe the division managers and research and
development do!)

Personally, and that is all I can speak for, my faith in the 'quality' of
Iams products will continue.  DO read those labels.  DO call the toll free
line with your concerns, and DO give them your input including why you feel
the way you do about the ingredients.  Maybe we need to let them know how
many of us are using it for ferrets.  (did that last bag of Eukanuba smell
'fishier'?!?  Yes.  -I know because I still have the previous bag to
compare it against.  Guess who I'm calling?!)

Another Fuzzy Mom who cares.
     Hey, Mom!  I'm not a cat - I don't LIKE fish!