Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:14:02 -0500
Hi--
I want to enlighten you just a bit on Charles and his symptoms -- The huge
swelling and the bluish tinge-- tell me that it is his spleen which has
enlarged ---- This can be caused by one of two things -- either a chronic
low grade systemic infection ( could be prolonged ear mite infestation, an
underlying bladder infection, helicobacter from changes / stress, etc.  or
that he has a lymphoma .

Now, the diagnosis will NOT initially be made with an x-ray as it is a
soft tissue condition-- the size can be easily palpated by any mediocre
veterinarian.  However -- blood work will show red/ white count and
indicate if there is infection, a urine culture will tell if there is a
bladder / prostrate condition (underlying adrenal) and tell if there is
infection there.  The first course of action is to try and control /
identify the source of infection.  This si also a cost effective measure as
well.  If Charles is eating and voiding he is in no imminent danger!!!  14
Days on amoxycillan should do that.

Your ferret knowledgeable vet should only require a office visit and the
blood test with antibiotic.  If they are doing or suggesting other things--
it is possibly overkill and they are out to turn a profit.  We have seen
many cases like this at this shelter -- hopefully with antibiotic treatment
he will respond.  Don't be over zealous to have surgery to remove the
spleen without first trying the antibiotic regimen, and discuss this with
your vet.  If an organ can be healed it is preferable to extraction in the
long range of things.

If the spleen is deemed a surgical candidate-- I also would urge pathology
so you know if the enlargement was due to infection-- or lymphoma-- that
will help when the lymphoma moves on to the next location.  We send well
wishes and hope this will help enlighten you-- vet consultation is in
order, but don't jump too quickly at radical treatments until you try the
easy ones first.

Best wishes and prayers--
alicia
shelter Mom for the many faces at Ferret Wise
http://www.dartmouth.ed/~crassi/index.html