From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:14:57 -0800
Hey folks,

Just wanted to point out one thing about the suggested letter in
yesterday's FML.  After the subject of the Sierra Club was brought up a
few weeks ago, I, not knowing that the Sierra Club took a stance against
legalization, looked into it.  I started by posting a plea for info on the
FML, and then went to the Sierra Club website.  I got several responses
from here, pointing me to articles on the Sierra Club website dated 1997,
and some other various info, but the thing that is REALLY important is the
response I got from the Sierra Club.  They have officially ammended their
position to the lack of one.  In other words, while the Sierra Club
currently does not support the legalization of ferrets, they no longer
stand against it!!  This was big news I guess, but it took someone really
searching for info to find it out, as the Sierra Club never published an
ammended statement, but it has been confirmed by several Sierra Club
spokespeople.  Yeah!!!  Anyway, I just thought I would mention that,
since I was reminded that I never posted about it when I read their name
mentioned in the list of people who may speak against legalization at the
hearing.  And as far as that is concerned, I doubt they will, given their
current position.  Anyway, just a bit of good news, even if it isn't much.

Melissa