From:
Ben Roach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:53:22 -0800
Hello everyone,

Just thought I would re-cap what Charlene posted the other day about the
poor ferret with a bad eye.  I've been wanting another ferret for a while
and after speaking with Charlene and learning of the pretty ferrets in the
shelter and of Emily.  I relayed the story to Jeff, my husband, to try to
talk him into another one.  Well, after telling him the story of Emily, he
wanted so despreately to be the one to care for her.  Now I was just about
floored, when he spit out his next sentence, the other ferrets are young
and healthy and will be adopted out soon, and I want to take care of those
ferrets that wont be adopted or are sick.  I fell out of my chair at this
point, I couldn't believe that he had a more perfect philosophy about
adopting than myself.

For those of us who read the ferret postings and shelters crying for help
in the care of the sick or injured, Jeff knows nothing about what the cries
for help, he said this completely on his own, and was very clear he wanted
Emily in our home.  Now just a small side note, we took in an abused ferret
from the shelter, Buster, and was an awful biter, I have pieces of my nose
missing to prove it :).  He's now the most loveable and playful ferret in
the world.  Most of that is due to Jeff, he really worked single handedly
at changing Busters behavior and succeeded.  I do have pictures of Emily if
anybody is interested, I haven't updated my website lately so they aren't
there yet.

Loyarne showed Jeff and I how to do the eye washing and gave us the meds.
She also gave me a cage, litter pan, and water bottle as Emily needs to be
kept away from other ferrets until she heals.  The vet also told us that
she doesn't believe Emily has the deadly infection she once thought she
would have had, and it appeared that the previous owners did try to take
care of the initial wound, but they didn't follow up with treatment.  The
vet also feels that she was able to remove and drain most of the infection
away and in a few weeks we'll know if she's right.  I hope to god she is,
because Emily is a beautiful, big, girl and I"m already in love with her.
So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers over the next two weeks.

Ben & Jeff of the Starship USS Fuzzcruiser
Casey -    First Officer
Madelyn -  Helmsman
Max -      Security Officer
Trevor -   Transporter Chief